Friday Fictioneers – Silk Purse

Friday Fictioneers:   Every Wednesday, Rochelle Wisoff-Fields hosts a photo prompt. The rules include maintaining (as near as possible) a 100 word fictional piece pertaining to the image. For more information, and to share your writings please use this link.

____________________________________________________

Copyright - Sandra-Crook

Copyright – Sandra-Crook

“How’d it get here?”

“That? It was here when he arrived.”

“Who arrived?”

“The guy with the silk purse.”

“What silk purse?”

“You know. Can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear.”

_

“What the dickens you sayin’?”

“Can’t make something great out of something sh**.”

“Chri** man..!  What the hell you saying?”

“You know. Everyone’s trying to get somethin’ for nothin’ these days.”

“Oh, for Lordy sake…. Speak English.!”

“The guy who came here last night (with the silk purse). Said if he could do it with a sow’s ear, he could surely do it with that contraption, too….”

Carolyn Page

Click on the little frog below to read more Friday Fictioneers

1. :-) When I got to “dickens”, I thought for a moment you were going in a literary pun direction. I agree that if he could do it with a sow’s ear, this would be cake.

janet

2. Brilliant. :-)

• Thank You, Alastair….! :)
      I may take a leaf from your book and begin a ‘story’ using FF. I think it would be fun (and, of course, work; though ‘good’ work….) :)

• Yes it is fun. This weeks one just fell out onto my lap. Some have been harder. I’m beginning to see more of a fleshed out story in the making. It is great fun continuing it :-)

3. Delightfully clever. Loved your little flash

4. I don’t get it.
    What’s he gonna do to that thing? A pig’s ear is gonna look dern silly on it. And i would never let no grown man with a silk purse get up on my contraption, that’s fer shur.

5. Interesting take :-)

6. I want to know who “he” is. Good or evil. Next chapter please.

7. What a spin :) truly showing individuality and originality lol

8. As usual :)

9. very good:)

10. I think it’s funny. I had to read it a few times, because sometimes I have problems to find the clue in the English languange. I love your style of writing, Carolyn :)

11. good one Carolyn!

12. Just an outstanding piece Carolyn. So very clever. You’ve got me thinking, sow’s ears, mysterious arrivals of contraptions, not being able to make something out of “shyte” and then, silk. Wow! Hell Carolyn they going to canonize this, and then who knows what interpretations they’re going to put on it – Lol

• Those shoes/boots are just gorgeous, Don…. Perhaps they’d make a great FF image…! ;) So many stories to be told; so many travels they’d have seen; so many feet; the list of stories is endless….!
      Thank You so much; your comment is a treasure… :)

13. Oh wouldn’t it be loverly if we could transform the sh** :-)
    Liked the dialogue Carolyn.

14. Clever, hilarious and just plain fun!
    Nice!

• I’m so pleased you think so, my dear, dear Hook… I had myself laughing, and I still do whenever I re-read… ;) Such behaviour must be sacrilegious; to be sure… :D :D

15. You surprise me the more I follow ya! I love your imagination! You inspire me to try one of those things someday! Love how you are totally left to right in what comes to mind! Made me smile.

• Diane, I am having such fun with these pieces; I wonder from where they come sometimes too… It’s just a matter of trusting the process and letting it happen, then not critiquing too harshly… I generally let ‘my man’ have a read first; he’s always too kind, of course… Here’s hoping you join in real soon… xoxoxo :)

16. I guess he’ll make the difference between junk and junque. Cute
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

• One man’s trash is another man’s …… !!
      What a fabulous image, Rochelle. There were so many possibilities; I’ve loved reading the responses… Here’s to more to come… :)

17. I had to read it three times to understand him Carolyn! No wonder the other chap got so impatient! Great work again.

• Oh, Yaz; I had so much fun with it… You know me; I do try to be soooo clear in the written word… It was great to drop all that and just let this character have his wordy way… Sorry it took three goes though; didn’t mean to make it THAT hard… ;)

18. Hahaha! Very funny, Carolyn, and I’m all for trying to change sow’s ears to silk purses. I like trying! Thank you for brightening my day! xoxoxo

19. Great take on the prompt! :)

• Thank You, Sandra… And Thank You for the great image…
      As Ghia has remarked below – It reminds her of the ‘machine’ in Terry Pratchett’s book – Soul Music…!
      What an amazing likeness… :)

20. That I’d like to see!!!
    Looks like Death’s machine in one of Terry Pratchett’s books – Soul Music I think was the one.
    A monster to dream about ;-)

• It certainly does look like Death’s machine; you are so right… Someone put a lot of love and energy into making it… :)
      Don’t quite know about the dreaming angle… But then, with your leathers you could look very cool astride such a machine… ;)

21. Clever and funny.
    Loved it!

22. Such engaging dialogue! Nice story!

23. Very good. I enjoyed it!
    Tom

24. Great dialogue!

25. haha awesome story… just before i read the last line, i felt like shaking the guy and yelling “yeah man, for God’s sake, speak English!!” lol very unique

• Haha, kz…. So sorry for the frustration, though I enjoyed writing it, and hoped for that reaction…!
      I guess there’s a ‘little devil’ in all of us just daring to get out… ;) ;)
      I’ll get back to writing my ‘reflections’ for a little peace and calm…. :)

26. Trudy

/  April 12, 2013

I was getting real impatient with the guy too! He’d drive me crazy! Very good dialogue :-)

27. I like the back-and-forth dialogue here. :)

28. Very clever and lovely dialogue :)

29. Liked it very much!

30. I have to agree with several before and deem this clever and funny!

31. Let me find that guy. . . . . . I have some magic beans. Great dialogue and a clever story.

32. So, what’s he going to do with/to it? Nicely done, Carolyn.

• The possibilities are endless, vb…! ;)
      It greatly depends upon the nature of our new arrival. Was it merely a glib remark he made when viewing the ‘contraption’, overheard by a gullible and wordy English language destroyer? Is the new arrival a true sorcerer, flesh manipulator, alien or jealous art critic? I wouldn’t want to destroy the reader’s interpretation (in general it can be so much more imaginative than the writer’s concept), so I shall leave it ‘open’ where so many good stories reside… :)
      Thank You so much for visiting, and for a great comment… :)

33. Hahaha! I’m sure he could. Thanks for sharing this.

34. Great dialogue. You really gave me a laugh with this. I’m likin’ it!

35. Nice portrayal Carolyn! Thanks!

36. jalal michael sabbagh.http://gravatar.com/jmsabbagh86@gmail.com

/  April 14, 2013

Lovely dialogue ,l liked it.Thank you for liking my post ( years / achievement.

37. There is an optimistic guy. Nice back and forth dialogue.

38. Hey! I am not sure if you accept blogging awards, but I have nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger award. Do check out this link for more details:

• Congratulations Sumithra, you deserve the awards. I loved reading about you…! :)
      Yes, I do accept awards. What I find hard is responding to them in a timely manner.. ;)
      I will, though it may take some time… :oops:

39. Thanks for the chuckle! Enjoyed listening in on the conversation! ;)

40. Cute piece, Carolyn. It left me smiling.

• So pleased it did..! Yours left me smiling, and from memory, a little squeamish. I’ll never again think of a planters wart in the same way…. ;)

41. Can I have my trike back now that you have finished playing with it ;) Ralph xox

42. Can’t make something great out of something sh**. – you’re so right! :)

43. So funny! You sure inspired quite a few imaginative comments. So I guess you can get something out of sh……… Love the picture. :)

• Marcia, the comments can sometimes be more fun than the post…! (I think I’ve read that on your blog, too….!) :)
      And, yes I agree; it’s a fabulous image. I’d secretly love to own it.. ;)

• hahaha, and what would you turn it into? Or would you give it back to Ralph, and see if he can turn it back into a trike. hahaha

• That was a wonderful comment from Ralph. I do adore him; he is sooo cute..! (Don’t tell him I said so. ;) )
          No, I wouldn’t want to turn it into anything; I love it just as it is. It would be a wonderful addition to my new garden… ;)

• Hi Carolyn,
            It would be adorable in a garden.

I know Ralph is such a sweetie. I think we all love him to death!!! You know he’ll be reading our comments somehow. I don’t know how, but he will!

I’m sure you will come across something almost as cool for your garden. There’s all kinds of stuff lying around in people’s yards. In ours we have: a metal bed frame, a claw tub, a wash basin, a broken down birdbath, that the cats love, an old wood burning stove, land little pots. hmmm what else? Oh yes a pump made into a fountain. We found things at garage sales and antique stores, but nothing as cool as Ralph’s old trike!!! :)

• I wondered why my (sow’s) ears were burning !! Carolyn and Marsha !! Talking about me behind my back ( Scratch me just there. Up a bit Marsha !! Aaaah ! Bliss). :D
              Group hug as I love you both too !! hehe !! :D

• Marsha was right…! Well done, Marsha… :)
                Oh, Ralph; I can’t hide the fact – You are a sweetie (as well you know). You have all the women falling at your feet. xoxoxo :)

Feeling the hug, Ralph; feeling the hug…. :D

• I told Carolyn you’d hear about it. I don’t know how you do that!!!!! YOU were NOT supposed to be in on that conversation, Luv Bug! :)

44. Good spin. “Manipulating flesh” … burrrrrrrrrrrrr, duck bumps here!

• We make lemons out of lemonaide all the time, so sows ear … LOL! Think I am in need of coffee. Yikes! (Carolyn, you generate comments here that are as interesting as the post. Nice job of it.)

45. Wonderful, my dear Carolyn! You turned a sow’s rustbucket into a silk Cadillac!! : )

A penny for your thoughts..!

• Community Faces

• This is me…

Carolyn Page

Carolyn Page

Hi, My name is Carolyn Page - Welcome to my Blog. Being succinct: I'm a woman, lover, mother, grandmother, dancer, writer and medium - just a regular girl, I think! Come take a look...!

Personal Links